LSU wide receiver Kayshon Boutte, who announced his intentions to return to school and play the 2023 season earlier this month, released a statement Wednesday evening that he was declaring for the NFL Draft instead.
“After careful thoughts and consideration, I will be declaring for the 2023 NFL DRAFT,” Boutte said on his Twitter page.
LSU released a statement earlier Wednesday in which coach Brian Kelly said Boutte would not be available to play in the team’s Citrus Bowl against Purdue. He went on to say Boutte was enrolled in school for the spring semester.
Kelly released the following statement after his star receiver’s declaration.
“We support Kayshon and his decision,” Kelly said on his Twitter page. “He went through a thoughtful process and ultimately decided this was in his best interest. We appreciate all he did during his time at LSU and wish him well.”
LSU (9-4) departed Tuesday for Orlando, Florida to resume preparations for the bowl game against Purdue. Kickoff is scheduled for noon.
Boutte appeared in 11 of the team’s 13 games during the season and wound up second to Malik Nabers in receptions with 48 catches for 538 yards and two touchdowns. He caught a season-high seven passes for 51 yards in a 32-31 overtime win over Alabama on Nov. 5 and had six catches for 107 yards and a TD against Georgia in the Dec. 3 SEC Championship Game against Georgia.
LSU will be missing three of its top eight receivers for the bowl game. The Tigers will be without Boutte, Jaray Jenkins (27-404, 6 TDs) who declared for the NFL Draft and sophomore Jack Bech (16-200, TD) transferred to TCU.