By JAMES MORAN
Tiger Rag Associate Editor
The LSU football team went through its first full scrimmage of the spring Saturday. Les Miles said the Tigers ran about 110 plays in a pass-happy scrimmage also worked in special teams. The main topic of discussion, as usual, focused on the quarterbacks and the passing game. Here’s the most pertinent news, stats and notes from Miles’ post-scrimmage presser:
– LSU’s top three quarterbacks all had productive outings in a scrimmage Miles himself characterized as being more pass than run. He attributed the improvement to an increase in confidence and touch from his signal callers, the combination of which has created more opportunities to extend plays with their feet.
Brandon Harris: Brandon Harris: 16-20, 260 yards
Danny Etling: 14-18, 220 yards
Justin McMillan: 11-14, 226 yards
– Derrius Guice was the leading rusher and hauled in a 35-yard touchdown pass. Leonard Fournette got “a couple of carries.” Malachi Dupre led the receivers with six catches for 80 yards. Les also said Derrick Dillon caught a 50-yard touchdown and Jacory Washington hauled in a score.
– Miles raved about the play of true freshman linebacker Devin White, who led the team in tackles Saturday: “He has a natural extinct. He gets up in it. Pretty special. He’s going to an every-down player pretty quickly.”
– Miles “didn’t think anybody got hurt” in the scrimmage.
– There was no update on tight end Dillon Gordon’s appeal to the NCAA to receive a fifth year of eligibility via a medical redshirt. “Still working on it.”
– Corey Thompson, now playing outside linebacker, was a full participant in the scrimmage, Miles said. “Big, physical, fast.” Said he expected Thompson to contribute next season provided he remains healthy.
– Miles on Maea Teuhema playing left tackle: “He’s improving, but he’s a way to go.” He also mentions K.J. Malone and Chidi Okeke as possibilities, calling the latter “the best athlete” LSU’s offensive linemen.
– Staying on the offensive line, Miles praised the development of guard Josh Boutte: “As quality a start to the spring as anyone … Reminds you of the biggest and best guards we’ve had.”
Be the first to comment