AUSTIN, TEXAS — The LSU men’s team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament after defeating SMU, 4-3, Friday afternoon at the Texas Tennis Center.
The Tigers picked up their first victory at the NCAA Tournament since 2016 and Andy Brandi notched his first NCAA Tournament victory since being the coach at LSU.
In doubles, LSU found themselves in a 4-5 hole on courts one and three and weren’t able to dig out of it. No. 39 Adam Neff/Pranav Kumar defeated Vlad Lobak and Ronald Hohmann, 6-4. Kent Hunter and Gabriel Diaz Freire handled business on court two, defeating Caleb Chakravarthi/Ivan Thamma, 6-3. SMU’s Huntley Allen/Julian Steinhausen clinched the doubles point after a 6-4 victory over Ben Koch and Nick Watson.
Losing the doubles point didn’t bother LSU as they came out firing in singles. No. 29 Ronald Hohmann got LSU on the board after a straight-set victory over Adam Neff, 6-4, 6-2, on court one. Joao Graca went to work on court six, giving LSU a 2-1 lead after he defeated Louis Cloud, 6-1, 6-4.
Boris Kozlov would put the Tigers up 3-1 after a straight-set victory over Julian Steinhausen, 6-3, 6-2.
Courts three and four would decide the match as Gabriel Diaz Freire and Kent Hunter would head to third sets. Diaz Freire dropped the first set, 3-6, but won the second set, 6-2. SMU’s Pranav Kumar would tie the match at three, after blanking Diaz Freire in the third set, winning, 6-3, 2-6, 6-0.
All eyes fell on court three as Hunter headed to a third set, overcoming a 2-1 deficit with five straight games to clinch the team’s 4-3 win.
The No. 12 Texas Longhorns swept Idaho, 4-0, meaning LSU will have a date with Texas on Saturday, May 7, at Noon CT at the Texas Tennis Center. The winner will advance to the Sweet 16 against the winner of the Ann Arbor Regional.
#34 LSU 4, #22 SMU 3
- #29 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) def. Adam Neff (SMU) 6-4, 6-2
- Liam Krall (SMU) def. Vlad Lobak (LSU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
- Kent Hunter (LSU) def. Caleb Chakravarthi (SMU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Pranav Kumar (SMU) def. Gabriel Diaz Freire (LSU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
- Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Julian Steinhausen (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
- Joao Graca (LSU) def. Louis Cloud (SMU) 6-1, 6-4
- #39 Adam Neff/Pranav Kumar (SMU) def. Vlad Lobak/Ronald Hohmann (LSU) 6-4
- Kent Hunter/Gabriel Diaz Freire (LSU) def. Caleb Chakravarthi/Ivan Thamma (SMU) 6-3
- Huntley Allen/Julian Steinhausen (SMU) def. Ben Koch/Nick Watson (LSU) 6-4
Be the first to comment