Photo Gallery: Spring Practice, Week Two
Taking a defensive slant as LSU adds pads to the equation
First-year defensive tackle Anthony “Freak” Johnson (56) takes in the action during a recent practice with fellow defensive linemen Chris Davenport (back middle, purple jersey) and Sam Montgomery (back right, green jersey) behind him. (Photo by Jay Potter)
By BEN LOVE
Tiger Rag Editor
The second week of spring practice is in the books for LSU football, and before we get back on the Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday grind this week, it’s time for another Tiger Rag photo gallery.
There’s a little bit of everything in this grouping, but it’s a defense-heavy gallery to be certain. For the first time this spring, we got a real good look at the linebackers and we’ll pass those action shots from Jay Potter on to you.
Aside from the plethora of ‘backers - from newcomer LB Karnell Hatcher to players like Lamin Barrow, Tahj Jones and Kevin Minter - Jay also provided a number of quality shots of the defensive line.
And, as usual, we’ve got a few quarterback snapshots (this time, toward the bottom of the gallery). Notice that no matter who’s taking the snap or throwing the pigskin how close O.C./QB coach Steve Kragthorpe is at all times.
We hope you enjoy the fine lens work of Jay Potter!
Photo Gallery Legend
1. WR Rueben Randle (2) overpowers DB Derrick Bryant (36) in Big Cat drill with current players looking on as well as 2011 OL signee La’el Collins (in his green Redemptorist HS uniform)
2. TE Chase Clement (88) pushes and drives through DE KeKe Mingo (49) with Anthony Johnson (56) and Special Teams coordinator/D-Line coach Thomas McGaughey, far left, looking on
3. Oohs and aahs as TE Nic Jacobs (84) pushes starting DE Ken Adams (94) around
4. LB Karnell Hatcher (37) makes a catch during individual drills
5. LB Ryan Baker (22)
6. LB Lamin Barrow (57)
7. LB Tahj Jones (58)
8. LB Kevin Minter (46) drives through a tackle in individual drills
9. Defensive coordinator/LB coach John Chavis instructs LB D.J. Welter (31)
10. DE Justin Maclin (54)
11. DT Bennie Logan (93)
12. From left, LSU’s top-three cornerbacks going into 2011, Tharold Simon (24), Tyrann Mathieu (7) and Mo Claiborne (17) take a break at the Ponderosa
13. S Craig Loston (6) with S Brandon Taylor (15, but will change to 18) in the background
14. QB Zach Mettenberger (8) runs the mesh read with RB Spencer Ware (11) while Jordan Jefferson (9) and Michael Ford (42) return to their respective lines
15. QB Jordan Jefferson (9)
16. QB Jarrett Lee (12) tosses an option pitch to RB Spencer Ware (11) with RB coach Frank Wilson in the background
17. QB Jordan Jefferson eyes down WR Russell Shepard (10) as O.C Steve Kragthorpe intently looks in
18. Kragthorpe still spying, this time as QB Zach Mettenberger (8) aims for WR Rueben Randle (2)