Saturday Practice Videos
Take an inside look at LSU spring practice - QBs, DBs and The Freak
Rueben Randle (2), Armand Williams (81) and Kadron Boone (86) are just three of LSU’s wide receivers now catching passes from a trio of quarterbacks competing for the starting job (photo by Maggie Bowles).
By BEN LOVE
Tiger Rag Editor
Spring ball may have officially kicked off yesterday, but Saturday morning marked the first time members of the media were allowed inside the Ponderosa for an up-close and personal look at the Tigers.
First, some clerical matters to clear up. A handful of players have pulled the ol’ switcheroo with jersey numbers from the 2010 season. Now, these are subject to change again before LSU takes the field against Oregon in September, but for the time being, it’s important to know who’s who - especially when checking out the video below.
Here are some of the number changes I noticed:
- RB Spencer Ware has moved from No. 16 to No. 11, snagging Kelvin Sheppard’s old number.
- DB Tyrann Mathieu has ditched his No. 14 for Patrick Peterson’s old No. 7.
- Secondary mate Tharold Simon has switched in No. 26 for No. 24.
- Some newcomer numbers: QB Zach Mettenberger is donning No. 8, DT Anthony “Freak” Johnson No. 56 and Kenny Hilliard No. 27.
Quick injury updates: Brandon Taylor (foot) and Mo Claiborne (ankle) were practicing in the secondary today as all the players went in helmets and shorts. DE Sam Montgomery (knee) also practiced this morning. Of course, there was no contact with no shoulder pads. Also, Taylor and Montgomery were in green shirts. To see how each player motored around, check out the videos below.
I’ll have more notes and quotes on practice later after speaking with Les Miles at 1 p.m., but in the interim, here’s some Flip Video footage to satisfy your LSU football needs.
1. QBs throw jump balls to WRs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Bn7n1p0_Q
2. QBs roll out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8mYi097a7Y
3. D-Line drills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1pES3C7af0
4. DB drills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXPEakIG8s
Editor Ben Love covers LSU football and men’s basketball for Tiger Rag. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.